Mobile Web and Apps
Do you really need an App?
According to multiple studies, you can reach nearly five times as many people per dollar invested with a mobile website rather than a native mobile app and the costs in developing a mobile website (or converting your current website over to be “mobile friendly”) is cheaper and offers a better return-on-investment (ROI) than just doing a IPhone or mobile app.
Now that’s not to say the App doesn’t have a place in your marketing portfolio, as they are:
- Easy to purchase, install, use and throw away
- Great for branding and name association.
- They can generate revenue on their own by charging for them on the “App store”
However, they also have their downfalls:
- They are “closed” environments and can only really function in and amongst itself. Linking to a website for instance, throws the user out of the app and into another program (A browser) and can create a unfriendly user experience.
- They are platform-specific - most IPhone Apps will not work on a Drioid and vice-versa.
- They work best for large companies that offer a large inventory of products and/or services.
What do you prefer? Apps or your mobile web browser? Comment below – we would love to hear from you!